Sunday, August 25, 2013

Blog Post 1

When we are young, we are taught to use our imagination to its’ highest extent. We are read fairy tales of old and new, we are asked to explain how we would solve problems with any means that we felt were possible, we even are asked to explain what we felt the universe is and how it works with little prior knowledge. But as we get older, our imagination is set aside. We are taught to focus on the facts, and are told that we must look at a realistic future. These “undeniable” truths become embedded within us so thoroughly that many of us forget our imagination. We become focused on “reality”.

Somehow I maintained my imaginative skills. Perhaps, I simply had the right teachers, the right family, the right group of friends, or, the most likely answer, I simply like to be rebellious. The problem with having kept my imagination, I often have to come up with two answers to every question. One answer is how I would solve it to the brinks of my imagination. The other is based on the conception of reality, and more specifically, is based on what society (or my professor) wants me to answer.

For this assignment, I was asked the question, “If you built a school, what would it be like?” Of course my imagination leaped with excitement until I read further instruction. It was not really how I would build my school, but rather, what do I expect teaching will be like when I begin teaching. The instructions use the word “imagine”, which I take, must have been for sadistic pleasure because the rest of the instructions barred my imagination. The real question should have been phrased “What do you think education will be like when you begin teaching?” It isn’t quite as imaginative, but I am grateful for the misleading assignment title. It got me thinking about how I would build a school, what would it would be like, how my students would learn, and so many more possibilities.

So, I decided that I would give two answers for this assignment. The first, thoroughly following the instructions and giving my professor the answer he was seeking. The second, the fantastic answer my imagination provided me. And for some reason, I feel the latter may in fact be the education of the future.

I will be teaching in about two or three years, so I expect that not too much will have changed between now and then. Technology may make incredible leaps and bounds, but the class room does not usually exhibit prime technology. I will be teaching mathematics on the high school level, somewhere between algebra and calculus. My class will be filled with pictures of anime art, silly mathematic puns, and pictures of incredible equations that end up equaling one. Math is an interesting subject to teach. It requires very direct practice, but I don’t believe in a singular tried and true method. So, I am unsure of the exact way I plan to teach it. I’m sure it will be blended from all different types. I know I will throw in lots of jokes, and probably talk entirely too much.

A. What I want my students to know. I want my students to know the basics of mathematics, and be pretty technologically proficient at the time that they enter high school. Depending on the math that I teach, I will have different expectations for what I want them to know once they have finished my course. For example if it is algebra 1, I will expect my students to understand the concept of x, know how to make a single variable graph, and understand what the graph and x represent in the real world. If it is calculus one, I will expect them to understand derivatives, the basics of integrals, rudiments about sine and cosine, basics in physics, and etc.

B. What I want my students to be able to do. I want my students to utilize their knowledge in the outside world. I want them to be able to do math by hand, but also be able to use a calculator to solve advanced problems. Though, this may sound obvious, many teachers focus on the math by hand so much that they aren’t able to include the calculator into it. Or they are afraid that the student will not actually know how to do it by hand and will refuse to teach the calculator. The problem with this is that in jobs that require advanced math skills, you are going to be using a calculator. So it makes no since for my students to be able to do advanced math, but not have the application of the calculator.

C. What my primary way of teaching my students will be, and what I want them to know and to do. I have never believed in a “primary way” to teach students. For students to learn at their maximum capacity they require a mixture of different methods. I would love an individualized plan for every student, but at the moment this isn’t applicable. I am a kinesthetic auditory learner, but I don’t expect everyone else to be the same. And I don’t think there is a primary way to teach all of the different types of learners.

D. What tools I will use in my classroom. I know many teachers get very excited about utilizing technology in their class. But excluding the calculator, I don’t see the same use in a math course. The ability to do math requires a lot of practice. I will utilize laptops and other technologies when I try to get students interested in the subject. Knowing how math can be applied and its’ power definitely creates a drive, though I would not make that a daily routine.

E. What role my students will play in my classroom, i.e. how they will participate in the learning process. Instruction is important, but it is really up to the students to practice when it comes to math. So, I anticipate a lot of participation. Many teachers try to get this in as a grade somehow, and I think that lack of participation as a punishment is not as effective as giving an incentive to participate. I’m not sure exactly how I will implement this, and what kind of participation will be most effective. But I hope my students will be excited to participate and learn. It would be fantastic if they were having fun with it, and learning without even realizing it.

But, how would I build a school?

If I were to build a school, it would not require a physical construction. It would be one developed within a computer program creating a virtual reality. Each student would log in and find themselves in a new world. In this virtual reality, every student, would exist as an avatar with access to information at all times. They would literally have technology on their fingertips. They could create boards to write on out of thin air, or construct models of the solar system and see their functionality as bits of data circling them. They could explore the farthest reaches of our solar system to the core of the earth.

The students would also be on a mass server, so once they are connected in to this virtual world they would meet students from other parts of the real world in person (well avatar). There would also be instructors from all around the world. And the instruction would be more application. The student would be given tasks and they would go seek the information, either through the data base of the internet, or a professional on the subject. In each sector there would be a different subject. They could study advanced biology by watching cell mitosis, see advanced mathematics as it creates lines in three space, read any book and watch a lecture on its’ meaning, learn a language by immersing themselves around people who speak it, or question history by examining and comparing the histories of others. There literally would be no limit to the knowledge that could be obtained.

For younger students, more moderation and direction will be required. But as the students get older, a free flowing curriculum and education could be allowed. Imagine if you could see whales and monitor their song frequencies when you live in Ohio. The applications could be astounding.

I’m sure we are a long way off, and who knows what this would mean for education. But if I were to build a school, this is what it would be. I’m not sure it will exist in the 21st century. In fact, it may never exist. But it is a nice dream. I also feel that Mr. Mitra’s ideas for teaching, as well as the imaginative school created by Ms. Venosdale would be achieved in its’ accomplishment. After all, students would be learning by being asked the right questions, while having a colorful imaginative environment.

2 comments:

  1. I may not have asked the right question but I certainly got the response (not answer) that I had hoped for.

    Nominated for Post of the Week.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas it was a pleasure to read your blog post. I will agree with Dr. Strange and nominate it for Post of the Week. You're correct, the instructions using the word "imagine" were sadistic. I can tell you're a creative guy and with your imagination you will be a great math teacher. You realizing that people learn differently from you is humbling and encouraging to me. I'm horrendous at mathematics, but I believe even I could learn a thing or two in your class. I've tried to find something to critique, but I honestly can't. Your dream classroom sounds awesome and I hope you continue to utilize your imagination.

    ReplyDelete