Sunday, September 15, 2013

Podcasting: Voice recordings just aren't helpful for math teachers. Blog Post 4

I was very disappointed with this blog post assignment. Although I will summarize what I read and heard, my post will mainly be describing why I disliked this assignment and how to improve it in the future.

This particular assignment was on Podcasting. Podcasting was originally designed by Apple as an innovative way to broadcast for the Ipod. It now refers to multimedia digital files made available on the Internet for downloading to a portable media player, computer, etc.

Langwitches and Joe Dale are essentially promoting the use of podcasting in the classroom.

Langwitches gives direct examples showing what their students were able to accomplish using podcasts. The students were able to record their voices, write their own stories, present them, promote voice inflection and awareness, and utilize media and technology. They had several different projects that helped them attain these skills.

Joe Dale promotes podcasting through a list of benefits. On top of student involvement, he lists that: it can help students outside the classroom, it is familiar to students today and therefore makes it relevant, and parents can see what their students are doing. So, why am I disappointed in this blog assignment? Clearly, this method is proving to be effective and has so many benefits. And it really is… in the context presented by these teachers.

I’m going to begin by illustrating that podcasting is completely ineffective for high school math teachers. I have highly contemplated any possible way that it would therefore be beneficial to me. Podcasting is simply a recording. So how would it help my math students? I don’t think reciting complicated math equations is going to be helpful to my students. And if I wanted to record a lecture, I really would need to video tape and not simply record my voice. My students wouldn’t get much out of me saying, “The integral of x squared plus four x minus three is x cubed divided by three plus two x squared minus four x.” Did that make any since when you read it? Try reading it out loud… Yeah I don’t think that helped any. I think it is fair to say, as far as math is concerned, podcasting is a bust.

But Math isn’t the only subject that it would be difficult for podcasting to effectively be utilized. For it to be beneficial for science, history, art, music, athletics, or etc, it would need to be heavily extrapolated upon.

It is still incredibly beneficial for reading and literature right? Well, I can’t deny the benefits it can provide. However, podcasting isn’t some new aged technology that is sweeping the world. In fact, in technology terms, it is outdated. On top of which, the same things that were accomplished by Langwitches students could be accomplished using a normal voice recorder. The only thing podcasting gains in the list of benefits is the technology (specifically software) application. I don't think allowing everyone in the world see it makes it more beneficial to the students' learning.

Finally, if we want to learn about podcasting, it would be more effective for us to make one. We already have a blog post for that. So, why is this information not added to it? Why make me summarize what I learned, when I could just illustrate it through making a podcast… that I’m already going to be making?

So my solution is fairly simple. This post should probably encompass multimedia as a whole, podcasts being a subset. There is a possibility that I am unaware of all the potential multimedia out there. In fact, I assume that I am considering our ever changing world of technology. But, doesn’t that make changing this even more crucial? If a new and better way of accomplishing these goals comes out, we wouldn’t want to still be discussing podcasts.

Video media (especially information on YouTube) should definitely be added to this post. It is far more applicable and relevant than podcasting. Video media could very well be helpful to my high school math students at home. In fact, there are so many more things that video allows that a simple voice recording doesn’t.

Overall, this project needs to be changed for it to be beneficial to all future teachers. I sincerely hope that it is.

7 comments:

  1. Well, you are a lot braver than I am! I am sure your post is different from the rest. You went against the grain for sure! If you felt that strongly about podcast, it is good that you stated how you felt instead of just trying to please Dr. Strange. Like I said, you are brave for doing so. I saw no grammar errors, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thomas! I liked reading your post. I have a lot of respect for people who stay true to their convictions and not conform their views because they think they are expected to. I think the structure of your post is fantastic. You gave good summaries, stated your opinion, backed your opinion with an example, and then presented a solution. By going with this structure it made the post very easy to follow. I was also very pleased to see you include a solution in the post. Many times when an argument is presented it is lacking a solution, which devalues the argument.
    Although I do like your post, I do not completely agree with your argument. I feel like you tunneled all podcasting into the audio category. I think podcasting is a blanket term that covers both video and audio. I can understand why you focused on audio since the examples in the material for this assignment did heavily focus on the audio side, but I feel like video podcasting is still relevant. I also didn't understand the video media part of the post. Wouldn't a video podcast be considered video media? In my opinion it would be. Overall, I am glad I was assigned to comment on your post because it is obvious you were passionate about the subject and it made for great reading!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that you are correct that podcasting does include video as well as audio, and that I was slightly mistaken here. However, the examples given did not fully illustrate the benefits of video podcasting. The main focus was on audio.

      Also, podcasting is not the only way for us to make this information available to our students. The definition given by google is "a multimedia digital file made available on the Internet for downloading to a portable media player, computer, etc".

      Essentially, for it to be a podcast it has to be downloadable. However, I don't believe a video has to be downloadable for it to be viewed. Though, I must say I am not always accurate when it comes to definitions for digital jargon. But I believe that is what separates most youtube videos from podcasts. Here is a source that backs this sentimentby expressing how to make youtube channels into podcasts. http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-youtube-channels-into-subscribable-podcasts-496976976

      Since this is the case, I believe we should be informed about the alternatives to podcasting(like utilizing youtube and other formats that don't require content to be specifically downloaded.)Based on the information provided, it seems to confuse what podcasting is from what it isn't. And it gives podcasting technology a bit more credit then it deserves.

      I must also state that podcasting actually did very little for the students discussed in the Langwitches examples. The act of making it a podcast was actually the final point of the project. But podcasting itself didn't make this style of learning available to the students. Voice recording did. Voice recording does not equate podcasting until the voice recording is made downloadable on the internet. I will state that the technology they used gave the voice recording a higher quality sound and made the editing much simpler. However, I don't think it is fair to say that podcasting allowed for this style of learning.

      My final point is that this information could have been illustrated in another project. Specifically, the one that requires us to make a podcast. I found myself incredibly busy on all of the projects due this week. I'm sure I put more then 9 hours in, and I don't think it was absolutely necessary. If you look at the completion rate, a huge percentage didn't do the other projects. I'm not saying that they are justified, but I figure a lot more of them would have been finished if project 3 had been this blog post, and this information was added to our podcast project.

      Regardless, it still should have more video podcast information,and a more decisive definition.

      Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  3. I have just glanced at your post so this is not an official comment. It is, instead, a question. Or actually, two questions:
    1. Have you heard of the Khan Academy? Find out what you can about it. Also check out the Khan Academy APP.
    2. Have you heard of the use of a Flipped Classroom to teach math? Find out what you can about Flipping Classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas,
    First and foremost, I really appreciate the effort, research, and thought you've put into this post. It says a lot about you as a student.
    Second, have you ever heard of integrating the curriculum? When you're teaching high school math, you will be working alongside the other subject teachers. All the cool teachers work together to make every lesson meaningful for the students. By saying that I mean the cool teachers do their best to make real-life connections to the content.
    Which brings me to my next point...
    How many of your students will need those complicated math equations you're teaching them in reality? Only a fraction of your students will go to college. A fraction of those students will finish college. A fraction of those students will have finished college with a degree in mathematics, science, engineering, or education (to teach high school math).
    That being said, how will you connect the content to their lives?
    The most obvious, helpful method I would suggest for podcasting is to record your classes. Students will be absent. Some may be absent for a few days at a time. Some of your students might get suspended. If you're lessons are recorded, they will be more likely to keep up with the class, unless they prefer mundane worksheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of integrating curriculum. As a math teacher, if I were in a school that promoted integrated curriculum to the degree it needs to be in order to be effective, I would most likely be paired with other science and math teachers. Obviously, science and math go hand in hand. You usually have to have some form of math skills in order to interpret "basic" concepts in science. And (especially in advanced math) it is important to understand the goals of the mathematics, which are most often science based. I obviously want my students to understand that math and science do effect their lives, regardless of their understanding of the math or science itself. And, of course, integrating the curriculum is a necessity for this understanding.

      You asked how many of my students will need those complicated math equations. I am unsure by what you mean by complicated math equations. Is x+3= 5 thus x+2 a complicated math equation? Or how about x^2+4+2=(x+2)^2 which means that the equation has intercepts at y=4 and x=-2 and that if y=16 then x=2? Or A^2+B^2=C^2? Or sin^2(theta)+cos^2(theta)=1? Or perhaps the derivative of x^3=3x^2? Or the integral of x^3=(x^4)/4? What do you consider a complicated math equation? All of those are pertinent in the real world.

      The basics of algebra have become a requirement to succeed financially in life. The basics of geometry are necessities for the construction of our society. The basics of trigonometry and calculus allow for a stronger understanding of our physical world, the foundation for future inventions, and the advancement of current technology.

      These "complicated" math equations are reality. Regardless of the field that the student enters, it will remain applicable. Now I understand when it comes to "advanced" math such as pre calculus and beyond, the knowledge becomes more important based on the profession they choose. But the understand and growth students obtain by expanding their minds into alternate possibilities, still make these "complicated" math equations essential to their reality.

      I don't mean to be harsh, but you are heavily underestimating mathematics, science, and, most unfortunately, your students. I don't expect all of my students will go to college. I don't think everyone needs to go to college to be successful. But, that doesn't mean I should only teach the fun things, the easy concepts, and the minimal information for them to pass a state exam. I expect that my teaching will effect my students' lives, regardless of any of my future students saying that it won't.

      That being said, the content is already connected to their lives. The real question is how am I suppose to open their minds to accepting that. And to be honest, I don't know. I haven't taught enough students yet to know what works and what doesn't. I only know what people tell me works. And I am a fairly skeptical person to believe something unless I've tried it first (unless it is jumping of a bridge, or something else with an obvious inevitable outcome). And of course I will try it. And I will see for myself what the best is, or maybe I will come up with something better that hasn't been used yet. But whatever the case, I won't know until then.

      As far as this assignment, I don't think you really critiqued what I wrote. Instead you asked me questions that pertained to my future, but they didn't really pertain to my post. So, I'm going to suggest you read my reply comment to Mr. Griffin, for my explanation of why I felt this way. Also, I agreed with the sentiments about making videos of class for my students. My point is, that doesn't make it a podcast. Again refer to my comment to Mr. Griffin.

      Thanks for your comment. I hope that you understand where I am coming from.

      Delete
  5. The term "complicated math equations" were your words in your original post.

    "That being said, the content is already connected to their lives. The real question is how am I suppose to open their minds to accepting that."
    This statement holds true in your case, as well, regarding podcasts. How can we open your mind to accept that?

    We'll agree to disagree because I'm on to the next blog. Keep up the good work, Thomas!

    ReplyDelete