Saturday, October 12, 2013

C4T #2 Summary

     The teacher’s blog that I commented on is named David Sladkey. He is a high school math teacher at Naperville Central High School in Illinois. Since I am training to be a math teacher, I always find it interesting what other math teachers are doing to be innovative with their students. And Mr. Sladkey’s blog definitely showed an interesting perspective.

     The first post I commented on discussed flipping the classroom. It was posted in August and Sladkey was deciding whether or not to use a flipped classroom setting this semester. He explained the idea of a flipped classroom, which is to have students learn the prep work and basics of a concept at home and do the “homework” at school. Essentially, class work and homework are “flipped”, hence the term. He listed the pros and cons and asked for advice.

     I hadn’t really considered using a blog to ask for advice. And I thought it was very interesting. My comment discussed what I felt would be best, and asked him to let me know how it goes. I am unsure how a flip classroom works, and I would love to know how effective it is for other teachers.

     The second post I commented on discussed that Sladkey wanted his students to actively “do math”. He discussed how he wants them to physically make triangles, measure with tape measures, and etc. Also, he asked for opinions on how he should implement it in the classroom.

     My comment discussed that I liked Sladkey’s idea, though I think he could take it further. Getting students to understand how math affects their daily lives is very important. A lot of people, even those in EDM310 right now, don’t always see how math affects us. They see it as complicated equations, a foreign language in some cases, and think that it is unimportant to their lives. Why should they know these difficult equations just to pass a test?

     The way I see it, it isn’t about passing a test. The knowledge is practical beyond that point. Math teachers just don’t always show that. It is not just for future engineers, bankers, or some other direct math job. It is practical for all of us. And I was very glad he was taking steps to show that, and getting his students working on projects. I suggested he have a “do math” day at least once a week.

     I found this blog intriguing, and I hope that I read more like it in the future.

some_text

No comments:

Post a Comment